I predict that Skype is just a fad.

I downloaded the Skype tool a few months back and was really excited about it. I even made sure my daughter had a camera. Six months later I find I have not used the application for the past 5 months. It appears that Skype is not that exciting. I hope I get more use out of my 3D TV.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Our lives go on, but we will always remember you Dad.


This post is a tribute to my Father, P. DeVon Stout, and to the legacy he left behind.
Please visit the Notice for Platte DeVon "P.D." Stout. (this link has been disabled, so I converted it to a picture and posted it above. Click on the top picture for a full view.)


Mom and Dad left a legacy of six children. They are pictured above. So who is in the picture? Here is a brief description, from left to right:

Jane, the second oldest of Dad's children. School librarian and professional grandmother. Jane has five daughters and 6 grandchildren. Married to David R. Crocket, and yes, he does live up to that famous name.

Lisa, second youngest. Owns her own alterations shop. Took Dad in to live with her until he got to frail. Married to her third husband Frank, a wonderful man and Czechoslovakian immigrant. Two great children.

Me (Jon), third youngest and blessed to be alive, employed, and in fairly good health. Two amazing children and a wife (Carleen) that I don't deserve. God is Great.

Laurie, Third oldest, music teacher, plays Bass in the Salt Lake Symphony Orchestra, and did the lions share of work taking care of Dad the past few years. One son and one granddaughter. Married a wonderful man, Jim, for her first time at the age of 39+++.

Kevin, the youngest brother, professional musician, owns a music publishing company and has three albums he produced and played on, plus several more from when he played with the Four Freshmen. Also took this photograph. Plays jazz trombone and guitar. Just started a bluegrass band in which he plays banjo, and writes country music for fun. Also has four wonderful children. Married to Linda, an amazing artist and teacher in Las Vegas.

Steve, The oldest brother had his birthday the day my father passed away. Retired from the Salt Lake County Sheriff, retired from the National Guard, works as a dispatcher for the Utah Transit Authority Police. Plays bass in a big band, a jazz trio, and whenever he can pick up a gig. Played in the National Guard marching band and toured the old Soviet Union while Regan was president. Three children and four grandchildren. Married to Joan, whom I admire greatly.

There you have it. The legacy of a kind and unassuming man that worked most of his adult life to support his family. Dad always gave freely of his time and talents. He led us all by example. He was never ostentatious, never controlling, and always loved my mom with his whole heart, even when she got on his nerves. Thank you Dad for all you gave me. Rest in peace.

So, if anyone reads this and finds an error, please post a correction. I'll update the blog. Thanks for reading this. It was very cathartic to write.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jon - Yes, Dad was a most amazing man. We were so fortunate to have (and still have)his influence in our lives. I am still thinking about all that I learned from him. I think he realized that Life is what it is. We do our best, and if it doesn't work out, we evaluate and try again. I know he was grateful to see all of us together right before the end. While I still struggle to try and put all of this in perspective, I am fortunate to have the love of 5 wonderful siblings. And considering some of the tricks I played on them when we were young, lucky that they still like me! We are all blessed with caring partners and loving children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think about the love and influence of our parents. I pray that all of their children feel the love and caring of their siblings. God bless us, one and all!
    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know until now that you also had a blog page. That is awesome, and I am a new fan. I just read and enjoyed all you had to say, and wanted to thank you. As I think back about Grandpa Stout, I can honestly add him as one of the smartest men I have had the honor and pleasure of knowing in my life. I include you and my own Pops to that list. It is amazing how much you can learn from someone while you have them in your life, and even more amazing to me that you can continue to learn from them after they're gone. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, it is refreshing to read what others have to say, and not be stuck on my own ramblings. Look forward to getting some Mexican food next time you're in town.

    ReplyDelete